If you’re planning a vacation in Oahu, you probably already know there are endless ways to play on the island known for its timeless beauty, adventure-filled activities and white sand beaches. How to choose what to do on your Hawaii vacation can be difficult, though, especially when there is so much to see and do.
|Hanauma Bay Oahu|
Here are 5 of our top things to do in Oahu:
1. Visit Pearl Harbor: Touring one of the most significant sites in American history is a moving experience. You’ll want to take an entire day to see all of the sites at Pearl Harbor, including the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri, USS Bowfin, USS Oklahoma Memorial, the Pacific Aviation Museum, and the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, a wealth of history is waiting to be discovered at Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor tours are one of the best ways to see the sites as knowledgeable guides provide unique insight about the historical attraction.
2. Experience North Shore: Famous for big wave surfing, the North Shore of Oahu features beach spots like Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach and the Banzai Pipeline. The historic surf town of Haleiwa is laid back and relaxed, a nice departure from the excitement of Waikiki. Grab lunch or dinner here or stop by one of the shrimp trucks on the North Shore for some local flavor.
3. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay: For spectacular snorkeling there’s no better spot the Hanauma Bay in Oahu. Explore the underwater world of Hawaii’s shores, where you’ll discover colorful coral reefs and abundant sea life, all in a setting that is protected from the oceans currents.
4. See the Halona Blowhole: Located on Oahu’s rocky south shore, the Halona Blowhole is one of the most famous natural landmarks on the island. Waves full the ancient lava cave and force water through a blowhole, creating an impressive natural waterspout. The blowhole is most active when the tide is high and the winds are strong.
5. Try a local favorite – Shave Ice!: Trying the local delicacies and flavors of an area is part of the fun of vacation. In Hawaii there are plenty of tasty items to tempt your palate but the one everyone raves about is shave ice. The Hawaiian-style snow cone can be topped with just about any flavor and is different from any stateside snow cone you’ve had. Get one at Matsumoto’s on the North Shore and see why everybody raves about Hawaii’s shave ice.